The Skip Barber Karting Scholarship Shootout is the largest and single most important event for karters transitioning into race cars. Past winners of Shoot-out awards include A.J. Allmendinger, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Ricky Taylor, Jonathan Goring, Joel Miller, and 2010 Skip Barber National drivers Spencer Pigot and Felix Serralles. Scholarships are courtesy of Skip Barber Racing School, MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development and the FIA Motor Sport Safety Development Fund. The Skip Barber Karting Scholarship Shootout is a critical component of the MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development ladder: a fully integrated motorsports ladder comprised of the Skip Barber Racing School Summer and Winter Series, USF2000, and Star Mazda.
Karting Scholarship Shootout Awards:
1st place: Full Season in the Skip Barber Racing School Mazda 2012-2013 Winter or 2013 Summer Series
2nd place: $25,000 Race Series Scholarship
3rd place: $20,000 Race Series Scholarship
4th place: $15,000 Race Series Scholarship
5th place: $10,000 Race Series Scholarship
** All scholarships funds are spread out over each race event throughout the course of the 2012 season, and cannot be applied to only a few select events.
Available 3 Day Racing Schools for driver eligilibility into the Karting Shootout:
- August 29 – August 31, Road Atlanta
- September 24 – September 26, Sebring International Raceway
- September 24 – September 26, Lime Rock Park
1. Current outdoor and indoor karting experience
2. Skip Barber Racing School 3 Day Racing School, or two Advanced Activity days prior to Shootout.
1. No professional racing experience.
2. No Skip Barber Racing School racing experience
3. Participants must be at least 13 years old and cannot be more than 25 years old at the date of the shootout.
4. Maximum of 12 advanced activity days (not racing) from the 2011 to 2012 Skip Barber Karting Scholarship Shootout.